Friday, December 26, 2014

REVIEW - Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)



Full disclosure… I liked the first CAPTAIN AMERICA film. I thought it had a different sensibility from the other Marvel movies. So, I went into THE WINTER SOLDIER hoping for the best. What I got was exactly what I expected: a big, loud, explodey “tent-pole” film which, while a fun ride, is of little significance to anyone outside San Diego ComiCon. The weird thing is that there’s nothing really to outright hate about TWS. The cast is likeable and performs well. The action is big and loud and there are a lot of flames and things falling out of the sky. The intrigue is… well, suitably intriguey. But, as the credits began to roll, I found myself already losing the particulars of the film’s plot. So, Cap is a man out of time… and Black Widow is trying to get him laid? The Horse Whisperer is a bad guy and now has the emotional range of a hat rack? It’s all so confusing. I’m beginning to believe that they really don’t know what they’re doing over there at Marvel. I mean, didn’t they JUST build a better S.H.I.E.L.D. in one of the other movies? And, are we now to suspect that there are HYDRA agents in the TV show? Who knows? I just found THE WINTER SOLDIER to be an overly long and unduly complicated, firey, generic night at the movies that satisfies, but rarely inspires.

3 out of 5 stars





~ Thom Carnell

No comments:

Post a Comment